What is Bowen Technique?
Bowenwork is a gentle and effective form of bodywork that balances tension patterns in the body, resulting in a state of deep relaxation. It is a holistic therapy offering deep relaxation and relief from acute and chronic ailments, stimulating the body’s innate ability to heal itself. Bowenwork involves performing precise, gentle movements on muscles and connective tissue. These gentle movements send powerful neurological impulses to the brain. The impulses stimulate the brain responses, which address every system in the body – musculoskeletal structure as well as internal organs. In response, soft tissue tension is released, pain is relieved, and it’s very common that structural misalignments will correct themselves without any force being used by the practitioner.
Bowenwork addresses the client as a whole person, rather than a collection of symptoms. The physical, chemical, emotional and mental aspects of each person receiving Bowenwork will respond as they are able. It is thought that because the whole brain is stimulated, the original genetic pattern is re-awakened which allows the body to remember and restore its own health.
- Bowenwork was developed by the late Tom Bowen in Geelong, Australia.
- Bowenwork is appropriate for anyone, from infant to the elderly.
Bowenwork can assist in the recovery from many conditions:
Conditions Bowen Technique Helps:
- Muscle skeletal conditions of the spine and limbs: acute or chronic, post traumatic or post surgery or from a more arthritic origin (lumbar, thoracic, cervical pain and related muscle spasms and loss of mobility).
- Sports injuries: ankle, shin splints, runner knees, adductor and hamstring strain, rotator cuff injuries, tennis elbows
- Pelvic imbalances: tilt, leg length, hip pain and imbalance, inguinal and groin pain
- Frozen shoulder: capsulitis, rotator cuff, arthritis
- Whiplash from car accidents: receiving Bowen treatment immediately following accident will greatly speed recovery
- Sacral iliac pain and imbalances: post traumatic or related to pregnancy.
- Coccyx pain: from trauma or after giving birth
- Migraine/headaches from stress and tension, structural and postural imbalance or digestive origin
- Digestive problems: constipation, diarrhea, liver/gall bladder congestion and pain
- Hamstrings: tension, stiffness and strain
- Pregnancy: before(to help the body go through all its changes and help prepare for the labor), during (to assist labor) and after for both mother(quicker recovery) and baby (crankiness, colic, projectile vomiting…)
- TMJ: pain and tension in the jaw
- Knee pain: meniscus, strain
- Ankle: strain, sprain
- Carpal tunnel and Repetitive stress injury: over work of typing
- Elbow: related to tennis, golf or computer use
- Chronic pain syndrome, Fibromyalgia
- Menstrual pain, irregular cycle, PMS
- Breast pain: related to PMS, mastitis, irregular milk supply
- Bed wetting
- Respiratory conditions: Asthma, hay fever allergies, emphysema, cold & flu ,sinus congestion. A Bowen treatment at the first signs of a cold can very often stop it
- Kidney: water retention, stone, assist kidney function
- Foot pain: hammer toes, hallux valgus (a/k/a bunion), plantar fasciitis
- Incontinence for adult
- Neurological conditions: Bell’s palsy, cerebral palsy, polio, stroke, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson, multiple sclerosis…… these conditions over repeated series of sessions will respond to varying degree depending on severity. Often patients have show gradual improvement of their condition and of their quality of life
- Heart conditions: chest pain, angina
- Neck issues: mobility with turning neck from side to side
- Stress: from all area’s of the body
What can I expect in a session?
Wear or bring light-weight, loose fitting clothing to make it easier for me to work on you. I first ask your health history and the reasons for your visit to identify the best “Bowenwork moves” to apply that day. You will lie down on a bodywork/massage table and I’ll perform a series of soothing movements over your loose clothing or skin. After each set of movements I wait at least two minutes to allow your body time to process the signals. This process is repeated with wait periods in between moves until the session is complete. You will experience a deep sense of relaxation and well-being during the session and may fall asleep. A session can last anywhere from 15 to 75 minutes depending on your needs and how your body responds to the work.
After a session, your body will continue to respond for several days afterward unless interrupted by injury or strong external stimulation.
How many sessions are needed?
Three to five sessions one week apart are usually all that are required for most sports injuries, work-related injuries, and problems brought about by long-term overuse. Clients with more complex conditions usually improve with additional sessions. Neurological and some other chronic conditions may require ongoing maintenance sessions.
What happens after a session?
The body continues to respond for five to ten days unless interrupted by injury or strong external stimulation. Some changes may be noticeable right away, such as reduced pain, greater range of motion and a sense of relaxation and well-being.
It is recommended to follow the self-care advice given at the session to help support the healing process during the week after the treatment:
- On the day of treatment, sitting less than 30 minutes at a time helps the body form a healthier, more balanced pattern
- The first 24 hours after the treatment should be restful
- Drinking extra water allows your body to expel built up toxins
- Taking daily walks relieves stress and aids your structural re-balancing
- Avoiding strong external stimulation such as other bodywork allows your body to continue using the energy generated by the Bowenwork
Cancellation or Missed Appointment Policy
With the limited number of appointments and a waiting list, we kindly request 24-hour notice for all cancellations, either by phone or Text to 734-323-3881.
Thank you for adhering to this policy.
It is our right to charge for missed appointments if a courtesy cancellation call from the client is not received 12 hrs prior to appointment time. This also applies to all sessions.
No-show appointment for all sessions will result in forfeiture of that session/appointment. No-Refunds
Please adhere to this policy. Kindness and Gratitude, Mindful Living 24/7