Conditions Bowen Technique Helps:
- Muscle skeletal conditions of the spine and limbs: acute or chronic, post traumatic or post-surgery or from a more arthritic origin (lumbar, thoracic, cervical pain and related muscle spasms and loss of mobility).
- Sports injuries: ankle, shin splints, runner knees, adductor and hamstring strain, rotator cuff injuries, tennis elbows
- Pelvic imbalances: tilt, leg length, hip pain and imbalance, inguinal and groin pain
- Frozen shoulder: capsulitis, rotator cuff, arthritis
- Whiplash from car accidents: receiving Bowen treatment immediately following an accident will greatly speed recovery
- Sacral iliac pain and imbalances: post traumatic or related to pregnancy.
- Coccyx pain: from trauma or after giving birth
- Migraine/headaches from stress and tension, structural and postural imbalance, or digestive origin
- Digestive problems: constipation, diarrhea, liver/gall bladder congestion, and pain
- Hamstrings: tension, stiffness and strain
- Pregnancy: before(to help the body go through all its changes and help prepare for the labor), during (to assist labor) and after for both mother(quicker recovery) and baby (crankiness, colic, projectile vomiting…)
- TMJ: pain and tension in the jaw
- Knee pain: meniscus, strain
- Ankle: strain, sprain
- Carpal tunnel and Repetitive stress injury: over work of typing
- Elbow: related to tennis, golf or computer use
- Chronic pain syndrome, Fibromyalgia
- Menstrual pain, irregular cycle, PMS
- Breast pain: related to PMS, mastitis, irregular milk supply
- Respiratory conditions: Asthma, hay fever allergies, emphysema, cold & flu , sinus congestion. A Bowen treatment at the first signs of a cold can very often stop it
- Kidney: water retention, stone, assist kidney function
- Foot pain: hammer toes, hallux valgus (a/k/a bunion), plantar fasciitis
- Incontinence for adult
- Neurological conditions: Bell’s palsy, cerebral palsy, polio, stroke, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis…… these conditions over repeated series of sessions will respond to a varying degree depending on severity. Often patients show gradual improvement in their condition and of their quality of life
- Heart conditions: chest pain, angina
- Neck issues: mobility with turning neck from side to side
- Stress: from all areas of the body
What can I expect in a session?
Wear or bring lightweight, loose-fitting clothing to make it easier for me to work on you. I first ask about your health history and the reasons for your visit to identify the best “Bowenwork moves” to apply that day. You will lie down on a bodywork/massage table and I’ll perform a series of soothing movements over your loose clothing or skin. After each set of movements, I wait at least two minutes to allows the body time to process the signals. This process is repeated with wait periods in between moves until the session is complete. You will experience a deep sense of relaxation and well-being during the session and may fall asleep. A session can last anywhere from 15 to 75 minutes depending on your needs and how your body responds to the work.
After a session, your body will continue to respond for several days afterward unless interrupted by injury or strong external stimulation.
How many sessions are needed?
Three to five sessions one week apart are usually all that is required for most sports injuries, work-related injuries, and problems brought about by long-term overuse. Clients with more complex conditions usually improve with additional sessions. Neurological and some other chronic conditions may require ongoing maintenance sessions.
What happens after a session?
The body continues to respond for five to ten days unless interrupted by injury or strong external stimulation. Some changes may be noticeable right away, such as reduced pain, greater range of motion, and a sense of relaxation and well-being.
It is recommended to follow the self-care advice given at the session to help support the healing process during the week after the treatment:
- On the day of treatment, sitting less than 30 minutes at a time helps the body form a healthier, more balanced pattern
- The first 24 hours after the treatment should be restful
- Drinking extra water allows your body to expel built-up toxins
- Taking daily walks relieves stress and aids your structural re-balancing
- Avoiding strong external stimulation such as other bodywork allows your body to continue using the energy generated by the Bowenwork